Monday, August 30, 2010

I painted this-- SEE! Photograph Manipulation Passed off as a Painting




I have been seeing a lot of this going around.  It is a photograph-- and it has been painted on.  No big deal right?  Not unless the artist claims to have painted it...

Photography is naturally a valid form or art, painting on a photograph has been done for years.  Even back in the day artists used the camera obscura as a means of transferring images to canvas.  What bites my ass is when artists employ these techniques and then say they painted by hand-- not referring to any of the tools they used. I feel it is in some way fraudulent, not true.  Why the heck not say you painted over a print...  I mean -- we know you did it!

What do you think about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...