Friday, June 24, 2011

Artist Interview: Iwona (Yvonna) Jankowski



What is your name:  My name is Iwona (Yvonna) Jankowski

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: Have some fine art and commercial art education.

What is the style of your pieces: It’s very hard to define my style. I don’t follow any existing or recognized style; however one gallery described my style as a merge of abstract expressionism with a touch of realism.

What is the medium in which you work: I have a wide range of art medium; oil, pastels, acrylics, pencil, chock, silk screen printing, mixed medium, digital, pen and ink; however, my favorite medium is oil, acrylics and oil pastels or acrylics and oil pastels.

What started you on your path as an artist: As long as I remember, I never imagined I can do anything else in life – just create art. The world around me constantly inspires me to create.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Passion.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Music was always magical for me, I cannot play any musical instrument, but I love music.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: Most of my shows are in galleries and display places in US, Germany, Sweden, Poland, Mexico, and Cuba. Some are formal gallery exhibitions with artist’s opening and some are just presentations of my paintings.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Yes, I have a special denim apron hanging in my studio; however I always rush to my paint pallets and forget to use it, so of course I always have paint on my regular clothes.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? In order to survive, I need to be a good business person and not just an artist.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: A slice of fresh rye bread with butter, tomato and green onion, topped with lemon juice, salt and crushed pepper.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: Every year brings something different and something special—I always learn new things and am eager to explore.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Too many to list here, but I always admire prehistoric artists from Lascaux caves.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Every artwork, seen in person, has something that make you stop and think, some just for a second and others keep you coming for hours and stare, sometimes you don’t know what it is. I have the feeling very often and is hard for me to isolate single art. The one I remember the most was probably a Blue Portrait by Picasso. It was his small portrait of a girl from his Blue Period—my favorite.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: They hate my work because it steals my time and attention from them, but they wait with patience, so I think they tolerate my work.
 
Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
My recent gallery exhibition in
www.1000artsgallery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...