Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Artist Interview: Kerian Babbitt


What is your name: Kerian Massey, but I paint as Kerian Babbitt (my maiden name.)

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: Mainly self taught, I graduated college in graphic design so I learned how to draw, but never taught to paint.

What is the style of your pieces: Whimsical and somewhat surrealistic, but not all the time, if that makes sense. No one really knows how to categorize my art because it varies so much. I'm not really crazy about labeling it anyway.

What is the medium in which you work: Acrylic, scratchboard and now I like paper sculptures, but I'm just learning about those.

What started you on your path as an artist: I was always this way. I used to get yelled at in class for doodling. I told the teacher "I'm gonna be an artist, not a Mathmetician. I need to keep drawing."

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Peace. It's like a bird, not being able to fly. As long as I can create, I'm happy.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Sculpture, but I have a long way to go with that.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I don't do too many, but the ones I do are usually fun and quirky.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:  I paint in the clothes I was wearing for the day, so usually most of most clothes have a splash of paint somewhere. Sometimes I'll remember and change into splatter-worthy gear.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Getting inspired

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Grilled cheese with tomato and a bowl of tomato soup

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I'm doing Cars now for some reason. I still do shoes and chairs, but my art is getting bigger and more vibrant I think.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: hmmm hard one. MC Escher. He was such a  creative and talented person, who has such skill.


What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: I saw Van Gogh's Starry Night in the Met when I was like 14. It was just so amazing and the movement just blew me away. I had no idea I'd ever be a painter.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have 3 dogs and a cat. Roxie my oldest dog of 11 years isn't impressed with me at all but if my art tasted like peanut butter, I'm sure she'd love it.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I will be at the flying Fish Gallery in Ben Wheeler September 25th. I will also be in a few fall festivals, please check my website for those dates.

www.keriansart.com
kerian@keriansart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...