--50 Innovative Works of Art on Display at Galleria Dallas July 31 – August 22--
DALLAS, TX – July 9, 2010 - There is no question that Dallas is a buzz over the increasingly sophisticated, diverse and growing local arts community and that there are more patrons of the Dallas arts than ever before. With an exciting summer upon us, the Red Bull Art of Can exhibition is a must see. The exhibition will feature more than 50 unique pieces - a wide variety of art made from recycled cans, digital media, paint and more. The free and open to the public exhibition opens July 31 and runs until August 22 at Galleria Dallas.
What will you see in the Dallas collection? A life size racing airplane, an old world style painting, a baby bull, a ball gown and much more. The Red Bull Art of Can competition challenges artists to construct pieces created with or inspired by the iconic Red Bull cans. Innovative artists – professional and amateur – submitted their designs for consideration. The featured artists are creative types of all ages and occupations – from medical professionals to high school students and fashion designers to classically trained artists.
A COLORFUL CANVAS
The Dallas exhibition collection guarantees not just diversity and variety, but edge and excitement. Local Dallas finalist Hai Nguyen created some buzz with his cascade of migrating birds in flight. "The Art of Can exhibition gives everyone, whether they are a full time artist or not, the opportunity to showcase their work to thousands of people and meet other artists and art lovers in their community,” Nguyen said.
THE EXPERT OPINION
With this much talent on hand, a distinguished curator, Myra Walker of the University of North Texas, and judging panel were brought in to help sort through the array of submissions and determine which pieces earned a coveted pedestal in the exhibition. Their decision was based on the overall creativity, execution and construction of each piece. Dallas’ judges include:
· Michael Cain is Co-Founder and Chairman of the Board of the Dallas Film Society. Cain is an award winning producer/director with more than 50 commercials and music videos to his credit. His documentary, TV JUNKIE, received the Special Jury Prize for Documentary Excellence at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival. Cain is currently in production on THE STARCK PROJECT, a portrait of the infamous Dallas STARCK Club.
· Brad Oldham is a sculptor with the mind of an engineer who enjoys creating artistic, useful pieces. Brad Oldham International, Inc. exists to design and produce sculpture, architectural features, and custom products for commercial and public projects and builds upon Oldham’s highly regarded tenure with the country’s top interior design firms, well-known real estate owners, discriminating private art collectors and public entities. In 2009, Oldham introduced The Traveling Man, a $1.4 million sculptural series, which has been dubbed by media as a new “hallmark” for the city and “Dallas’ new photographic ambassador” and has been featured on Good Morning America and in Architectural Digest, Better Homes & Gardens, Veranda, House & Garden, The Dallas Morning News and other national and local publications.
· Gail Sachson has been an integral part of the Dallas art world for over thirty years. After receiving her Master of Fine Arts from SMU, Sachson created ASK ME ABOUT ART, which offers lectures, writings, tours, program planning and consultation in the arts. She is the Vice-Chair of the Cultural Affairs Commission, a member of the Dallas Public Art Committee and a representative on the Board of Directors of a myriad of art organizations, such as Booker T. Washington High School and TITAS.
· Jason Sheeler is Style Editor for FD Luxe, the monthly luxury lifestyle magazine of The Dallas Morning News. The Parsons grad began his career in New York City where he worked as an accessories designer at high-end labels Marc Jacobs and Jill Stuart. With a keen eye for both fashion and frugality, Sheeler brings a fresh and often cheeky perspective to Dallas fashion coverage. When he isn’t busy at FD Luxe, Sheeler moonlights at local radio station Mix 102.9 with a weekly segment highlighting fashion deals and steals.
· Tammy Theis has been a fashion stylist and writer for the award winning Fashion!Dallas section of The Dallas Morning News since 1985, where she covered the local fashion beat and reported on the New York, London, Milan and Paris collections each season. In July 2009, she opened Wallflower Management, a boutique model agency in Dallas. Her unerring eye has been integral in helping launch the careers of many of Dallas' top models, who can credit some of their first editorial shoots to Theis – Erin Wasson, Chandra North, Ali Michael, Mimi Roche and Brittany Woodward, to name a few.
· Bob Wade received a BFA from the University of Texas, Austin, and a M.A. from the University of California, Berkeley and resides in Austin, Texas. As a university art professor Bob was also a recipient of three NEA grants and included in biennials in Paris, France; New Orleans, LA; and the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, NY. Collections include, Chase Manhattan Bank, AT & T, The Menil Collection, and the Austin Museum of Art.
The judges will also award special honors to the top three artists/pieces including the grand prize all-expenses-paid trip to Art Basel, the world’s leading modern art exhibit in Switzerland. Second place receives tickets for two to Art Basel Miami, while third place takes home a specially customized local art experience. These three winners will be announced during the private opening on Friday, July 30. The public will also have a chance to designate a “People’s Choice Award” by casting votes at the exhibit and online at www.redbullartofcan.com.
Galleria Dallas is located at I-635/LBJ Freeway and the North Dallas Tollway in Dallas and the free public exhibition runs July 31- August 22. For more information, visit www.redbullartofcan.com. For press inquiries, please contact Suzi Ellis, 214.991.6975 email@example.com.
About Galleria Dallas
Conveniently located at I-635/LBJ Freeway and the North Dallas Tollway, Galleria Dallas offers shoppers more than 200 exceptional nationally and internationally recognized retailers and hosts over 19 million visitors each year. Center hours are 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 6 p.m. on Sunday. Visit www.galleriadallas.com to learn more about the famed shopping center. Galleria Dallas is managed by Simon Property Group, Inc.