Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Artist Interview: Chris Bavaria

 
What is your name: Chris Bavaria

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I'd say a little bit of both, but I do have a BA in Art from Millersville University and a MFA in photography from Academy of Art University.

What is the style of your pieces: I like to describe my work as documentary/photojournalism for the most part. Definitely has a lot of influence from 20th Century street photographers.

What is the medium in which you work: Mostly digital photography now, but I always enjoy shooting film when I can.

What started you on your path as an artist: I started taking pictures of bands when I was in high school and people told me I was good at it.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Excitement! I've traveled all over the world and have met amazing people and do something that I love everyday.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I really enjoy public art, whether it be sculptures or wheat paste posters, really anything that takes a space and makes it more interesting.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: Yeah I've been in multiple shows, nothing too crazy. I have a solo exhibition up right now at The Yellow Wall Gallery in Harrisburg, PA. (yellowwallgallery.blogspot.com/)

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: No not really, anything comfortable!

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist: Being broke a lot of the time.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Vegan Ruben from The Chicago Diner (www.veggiediner.com)

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: My initial reaction was to say no, but that's not true. As an artist you're always changing and adapting to create new work. I can't put my finger on it specifically, but I definitely have grown as an artist the last year.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: One of my favorites would be Lee Friedlander, his work is so interesting and I feel like I'm drawn to similar things and situations when I pick of a camera.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Seeing Edward Burtynsky's giant prints of his quarry series at a gallery in San Francisco has always stuck with me.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: We have a cat at our house named Fluffy, and he shows up a lot in my pictures. Check out the blog! I think he knows when I have my camera out.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Right now just the one I mentioned above at the Yellow Wall Gallery.



www.chrisbavaria.com
www.flickr.com/chrisbavaria
chrisbavaria@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...