Monday, March 28, 2011

Artist Interview: RoByn Thompson



What is your name: RoByn Thompson

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I am primarily self taught

What is the style of your pieces: I don't know that there's really one style. I think there are different elements of various styles in different pieces.

What is the medium in which you work: My media include paint, photography, body art and collage.

What started you on your path as an artist: It's just what I've always wanted to be. My mom has a self portrait I painted in 3rd grade where I'm at an easel painting and simultaneously wearing a baseball glove as I'm also an outfield for the Mets. I'm expecting that phonecall from the Mets any day now.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Art gives me a way to express myself when word fail. It has also been very healing for me.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:  love graffiti, especially wheat paste.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I had been doing shows but am now rethinking that and planning on focusing on online sales. I like the energy involved when live people interact with the art but I've had too many negative gallery experiences as of late.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I wish I did. I'm too spontaneous.  Most of my clothes and much of my skin has paint stains.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Trying to have my voice heard/ get my work seen.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Avocado, tomato and Munster cheese on crunchy oat bread.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I'm more focused on my work this year. I'm also being less self-censoring and more fearless.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Jame Fry. He's my hubby and the best artist who's willing to rub my feet. :)

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art/collection_database/european_paintings/the_penitent_magdalen_georges_de_la_tour/objectview.aspx?collID=11&OID=110001283

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: Gizmo, the cat is largely indifferent. He does however think that a work in progress is the optimal place to nap and the path that leads through the wet paint is the shortest route to the litterbox.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Nope. Not doing exhibitions anymore, but I'll have an open studio in the summer. Email me if you'd like an invite.


www.robynthompsonart.com
bodyartist@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...