Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Artist Interview: Chad Evans



What is your name: Chad Evans

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I graduated from Arts Magnet in 1984, audited a couple semesters of advanced drawing at SMU, apprenticed a few times, and have always been working in some creative capacity.

What is the style of your pieces: Contemporary Modern Expressionism

What is the medium in which you work: Ink, paint, pencil, found objects, and digital.

What started you on your path as an artist: Genetics. Family history includes a court painter to the King of Norway, my great-grandfather was a sign and faux finish painter from Denmark... (learned of these things well after into my career). I grew up surrounded by art and art appreciation. I began drawing very often when i was six years old. I overheard my second grade art teacher tell my parents, "He is a natural artist. You should look into getting him enrolled at SMU".

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Really great friends and colleagues, and some cool jobs

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Japanimation

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I've only recently escaped the corporate world and am now returning to where I was twenty years ago.  

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I have two pairs of tennis shoes: the work ones and the artwork ones.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? The ongoing requirement to establish a particular voice or style.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Ice cream sandwich! (or a killer Rueben)  

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: My sweetheart is an amazing artist. She inspires me with her talent, intelligence, and love. My world has become rededicated to the pursuit of being a successful studio artist.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Tsukioka Yoshitoshi

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:Erick Swenson's installation at the DMA with the weasels in trendy secret-agent winter gear pursuing an exhausted doe. Wow!!!

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: My japanese fire-belly newt is the studio dog. She's been with me for over nine years now (newts have a thirty year life span).


Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: 
"Eye Tunes" at Kettle on July 10 is a show featuring musicians who create art. I'm an artist who also makes music.

http://inkflix.com
cmonster@inkflix.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...