Sunday, July 4, 2010

Artist Interview: Shoshana Kertesz.





What is your name: Shoshana Kertesz.
Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I went to an art school called Montazs Art School in Budapest, Hungary for four years.
What is the style of your pieces: Realistic and impressionist figurative art. I have a series of realistic portraits of different artists, writers, musicians that inspired me and I have a series of Biblical subjects.
What is the medium in which you work: Oil on canvas.
What started you on your path as an artist: A childhood dream. I wanted to be an artist since I was 4 years old.
What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Freedom to express my feelings.
What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Surrealism in all forms: creating different worlds and realities.
Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I have art showings in different countries, usually in art galleries.
Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I usually paint in a T shirt that I don`t mind getting dirty.
What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Art doesn`t pay the bills and it doesn`t cook a delicious dinner for my husband. But seriously, it`s probably the marketing part and also the question from people: So what is your REAL job?
What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Everything bagel with cream cheese!
Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I paint in a more realistic way. I also find myself being more fascinated with older masters such as Murillo, Watteau, Vermeer.
Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Marc Chagall. He truly succeeded to create his own beautiful dream world on the canvas.
What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Michelangelo`s frescos on the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. I remember sitting there with my head held high up for more than an hour.
Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I do not have any animals.
Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Last night was the opening of a solo exhibition of mine in the Home Galeria in Budapest, Hungary that will be open through the 24th of July. I`m also attending the ArtPrize art festival in Grand Rapids, MI from 22nd of September through the 10th of October. My venue there is the 605 Livingston Building.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...