Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Artist Interview: Jim Lively



What is your name:  Jim Lively

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:  I have a Bachelor of Arts and Juris Doctor degrees. However, I am a self-taught artist.

What is the style of your pieces:   I do both abstract and surreal figurative paintings.

What is the medium in which you work:  I work in acrylics but also do video installation pieces.

What started you on your path as an artist:  I quit practicing law 2 years ago to devote my efforts full-time to art. I have been painting many years but only began publicly exhibiting in 2008 due to my career as an attorney.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:  Art is a passion. I feel fulfilled when I execute a really cool and meaningful painting.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:  I love performing arts, expecially music.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:  I have been fortunate to have had many art showings across North America. My installation videos entitled "Burnt Orange" will make their Dallas debut on September 30th at the Samuel Lynne Galleries in Dallas.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:  No, I tend to have paint splatters on all my clothing.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?  Probably discovering that the business side of art is very similar to the corporate life I left behind. Despite one's creativity, there is still politics and agendas to overcome in dealing with many galleries.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:  Peanut Butter. It is all that I ate the first 12 years of my life.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:  I will say that sales have been better this year. I think also I have grown as an artist.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:  Andy Warhol, the ultimate marketer...but also extremely talented.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: The Green Fright Wig at the Ft. Worth Museum of Modern Art. It is displayed to perfection.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have an adopted rescue Weimaraner dog named PJ who loves my work since many painting featured her.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:  Yes, I am part of a group exhibition at Luminarte Gallery in Dallas (www.luminarte.com) beginning this Saturday (9/11) starting at 7:00pm. I am also debuting my "Burnt Orange" video installations and book launch at the Samuel Lynne Galleries on Thursday (9/30)

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...