Friday, September 17, 2010

Artist Interview: Tobias Batz




What is your name: Tobias Batz

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: 
I don't have a formal art education but I grew up with my father who's an artist- a wood and metal sculptor. I've been drawing painting since childhood. I worked with James Razz for two years as a colorist and fabricator, which taught me composition and built my confidence as an artist. I am currently studying art at F.I.T in NYC. 

What is the style of your pieces: street art portraits and abstract expressionism under the influence of graffiti.

What is the medium in which you work: acrylic, spray paint, markers, print making, digital and photography.

What started you on your path as an artist: My first memories  as an toddler are of my father taking me with him while he attended the Museum School of Boston. I remember the smell of burnt plastic from his sculptures. Art was never something that I got into, art has always been part of my life. I started drawing as a young child. I learned how to airbrush and started painting on my clothes in high school. This led to spray paint, markers,  photography and digital which brought me to my current style.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: creative expression and self-discovery. and sex. 

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Besides art, music. In terms of art, I love sculptures and installation art. I love to interact with, and touch art. Tactile stimulation.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: In August I opened a solo show "Urban Scrawl" at S.P.A.C.E Gallery in Burlington VT  


Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I like to wear clothing I make myself, clothing makes an interesting substrate to work on as its not static, you view it from different angles constantly. 

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Trying to get the attention of gallery owners who are not hip to urban art. or see graffiti as vandalism.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: tuna

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I started doing large scale canvases unstretched nailed directly to the wall. I work quickly as I emulate the energy I get from tags and street art, because its illegal its done quickly, it has life ands emotion. 

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Retna, for his typography without obvious meaning, a made up language. 

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Mr Brainwash's ICONS

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: my muse thinks my artwork is phallic

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: 
My next show will be in Milan stay tuned @  
                                


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...