Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Canvas Has a Sag... How to Get a Tighter Canvas.


 
 
Mike Salcido February 25
 
Hey - wanted to run this by you and see what you think. The latest painting I completed (the pic I sent above) the canvas is warping. It has ripples in it. Do you have any idea what might be causing this? If so, how can I fix?

Thanks for any suggestions! 
 
SOnia Semone February 25
 
How big is it? Was it a cheap canvas? Did you put gesso on it before you started?

 
Mike Salcido February 25 at 10:54pm
 
It's 36'x36' - not cheap canvas. It's actually Belgian linen that I stretched my self. Used rabbit's glue and then gessoed it. Not sure what is causing it. It's here at the lake house in the studio. When I arrived tonight, I took a look at it and it seems to be going back to normal - weird.

I'm going to see what I can do to fix it tomorrow. Have a great weekend.
 
SOnia Semone February 25 at 11:03pm 
 
If you wet the canvas next time before you gesso it will get tighter. If it doesn't go back right-- You might restretch it. 
 
Oh-- and let it dry before you put gesso
 
 
 
 Main Reasons for Canvas Sag
 
Incorrect Stretching  -- As I said before if the canvas is to saggy you can re-stretch it. Get someone else to hold the stretcher while you pull if you can.  If not sit in a v with your legs touching the stretcher and use your body to pull the canvas back. Start stapling the canvas from the middle to then work your way out.  Start on one side in the middle.  Then move to the opposite side and keep doing this until you are done.
 
Another problem can be if the Canvas is to large and you have no cross bar.  I suggest adding a crossbar on anything approaching 3 feet in length.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...