Thursday, February 24, 2011

Artist Interview Gabe Langholtz


 Gabe Langholtz
Lady in Lake 2011 Acrylic on Canvas 24x30

What is your name: 
 Gabe Langholtz

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: 
 I'm self taught.  My interest in painting came long after I'd put down the books.

What is the style of your pieces:
 Abstract, although I'm leaning towards more Representational works as of late.

What is the medium in which you work: 
 Acrylics & Oils primarily.

What started you on your path as an artist: 
 Music.  An Echo & The Bunnymen concert, specifically.  I wanted to be a rock star.  I played like one for awhile.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: 
 I've learned a lot about friendship.  Some friends of mine (Diana & Dana) are helping me reintroduce myself & my art to the general public.  They've sort of become my backbone in all of this.  There's a lot of work & a lot at stake.  None of this would be the same without their support.  I'm truly grateful to have them as friends (and colleagues).

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: 
 Collage.  I'm sure I'll take a stab at that one day.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: 
 Yes.  They've all been group showings, however.  I've yet to have a solo show, which I'm really craving.  I really want that fly on the wall experience.  I'd love to hear what people are saying about my art.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: 
Yes, I have painting clothes.  They're much more interesting than my everyday clothes. 

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
 Not having a formal education in art.  It's sometimes hard to be taken seriously.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: 
 I don't know if it truly qualifies as a sandwich, but definitely a Gyro. Hands down.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: 
 This year I'm staging my artistic comeback.  I'd quit painting for nearly 5 yrs.  There was a period where people kept asking me for stylistic reproductions of other artists' works.  They wanted original art without originality.  What's the point?  I did that a couple of times and it left me feeling cheap and unfulfilled.  So I hung it up.  This time around I'm painting for myself first.  And I'm enjoying art again.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:
JMW Turner.  His work has always fascinated me. 

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
 There's a great piece by John Alexander at the Blanton Museum, here in Austin.  That's what's coming to mind at the moment.  I went there to see some Turner & Monet, but was blown away by this John Alexander painting.  I wish I could recall the name of it.  Nonetheless, he's a major talent.  Love his work.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: 
 I have a dog, and I'm pretty sure she's wondering why all this crap is in her way.  She spends her time tiptoeing around my paints & canvases. 

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
I'm currently showing at the Austin Art Garage.  I'm told they've got some tentative exhibition dates scheduled for 2011. 

     
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...