Thursday, February 3, 2011

Artist Interview: Lisa Rachel Horlander


What is your name: 
Lisa Rachel Horlander

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: 
I have an associate’s degree and took every art class I could growing up...but in all I learned a lot from just making things on my own and being unable to listen to teachers tell me to put my sketchbook away.

What is the style of your pieces?
I paint in acrylic and stay in a cross between impressionistic (blurry and pretty and painterly) with a drawing element to it (permanent marker images drawn on top of the paint or images scratched out of the paint)
I like to bring emotions into my art with the colors I choose and to create something that might not have a political view but is personal can be enjoyed 

What is the medium in which you work: 
Acrylic on canvas or wood

What started you on your path as an artist: 
I have drawn since I could hold a crayon. My parents are creative (mom teaches piano and my dad is in advertizing) and their love of creativity spurred me on!

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: 
I can truly express what I love and feel! 

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: 
Pre-Raphaelite actually. I am fascinated with the romance and stories in each image and the extreme detail the artist put into the paintings.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
I do. Our town has art walks in the downtown area and I always jump on the opportunity, bringing all my most current work. I also have a show at a local coffee shop once or twice this year and am always rotating art around different shops and restaurants in town.
I love getting to talk to people about what I paint and why. 

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: 
yes, an old shirt of my dad's that ive been using since i started using paint in high school...but unfortunately for my clothes i tend to just jump over to my painting area (front room on an old end table) and forget to change till after I’ve ruined another favorite pair of jeans. 

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
I am married and have a 4 year old son and love life but find I get stale with ideas after a while (I cannot always draw my son a fire truck) so I try and seek out other artist. Its not easy since I don’t have a lot of extra time. 

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: 
Jersey Mikes, salami, ham, and onions and mozzarella with oil vinegar and oregano! yum!

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: 
YES! I started entering the juried shows at a gallery in town and they are themed. I am determined to enter each one so I've had to be stretch out of my bubble and try other styles of painting (and keep them looking like my own) 

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: 
O dear......just one?
 Actually my favorite artist is a group of musicians. Eisley, they capture music the way I long to capture images in paint

But Mondrian's early works have inspired me with my trees to loosen up and look at things differently

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
Back when I was in high school, our art club went to the Dallas Museum of Art and I couldn’t tell you any name for the piece but one that was there was a giant book with wings but it was made of medal. It still amazes me with just the memory.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: 
Yes, 2 cats (black on and white one, girls)
They think they are fun to knock over and hide behind if I happen to be careless enough to lean them against the wall;)  

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: 
Yes!
I have 2 paintings at our Downtown Gallery Main Street, for a Juried exhibit. (Paintings are named Cup o Joe, and  Luvbug)

I also just had 2 more painting accepted for the next juried exhibit there for next month. (Paintings are named Mail Time, and Swept Away by a Book)
I will also be part of Tyler's Art Walk on March 3rd.


Web address       

and I can be found on facebook, alittle too often;)
                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...