Thursday, February 10, 2011

“ONE HUNDRED HORSES: A Series of Drawings and Paintings by Melissa Auberty” Norwoow Flynn Gallery Dallas


"Blue Horse #1, latex on Arches paper, 6'x4," 
by Melissa Auberty

Opens on Saturday, March 12, 2011 with an Artist’s Reception from 6:00-8:30pm at Norwood Flynn Gallery.  The show continues through Saturday, April 2, 2011.

Norwood Flynn Gallery is pleased to showcase “ONE HUNDRED HORSES: A Series of Drawings and Paintings by Melissa Auberty.” 

In this bold new body of work, Melissa continues a theme she began exploring 10 years ago with dramatic and dynamic results.  The show continues through April 2, 2011.

All shows are free and open to the public.  The public may call 214-351-3318 or visit www.norwoodflynngallery.com for information.

Melissa Auberty: Artist Statement for ONE HUNDRED HORSES, A Series of Drawings and Paintings

I was born in the Year of the Horse.  I have to assume, then, that my affinity for horses was written in my DNA.  I grew up riding horses - communing with them. I rode bareback; swam my horse across          a pond while holding onto his mane; slept turned backward resting my head on his sun warmed rump or in the hay above his stall.  

Ten years ago I painted my first Blue Horse series, and I've been drawing and painting horse shapes ever since.   I do not see the horse as a literal shape, but as an abstraction - an emotional charge sounding through their essence, to mine - the rhythm, arching line, outstretched hoof, a flash of teeth. 

Deep in the core of all humans is a primal attachment to Equus.  Paleolithic man reached high on his cave walls to etch a red, running horse.  I am that cave dweller - a primitive seeker inspired by a gentle beast.

   
About Norwood Flynn Gallery
Norwood Flynn Gallery, housed in a 1940's cottage on the south shore of Bachman Lake, represents contemporary art by emerging and mid career artists.  The gallery exhibits and sells paintings, sculptures, drawings, photography, & new media, with an emphasis on unique Texas artists.

         Gallery Information:
         Norwood Flynn Gallery - Sue Flynn, Owner
         3318 Shorecrest 
         Dallas, Texas  75235
         NFG is a member of DADA
         214-351-3318

         Gallery Hours:
Fall Hours:
Wednesday through Saturday: Noon - 5:30 p.m. And by appointment
 __________
Mabel Peck - Norwood Flynn Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...