Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Where is Your Art? Do you know?

Greige Sonia Semone

I recently got an email from an artist I know that I thought was a great topic for artists.  Here is the email I received. 

Thank you so much for the plug! I'm always checking your site and think it's probably one of the best in Texas for art events and info. Hey, I think you should do a small story on keeping tabs on your artwork. I just recently contacted a gallery that had a piece of mine in Washington DC. They got it a few years back. I had contacted them last year about it and they said they'd just hang on to it unless I really wanted it back. Wanting the publicity, I quickly capitulated. Now two years after it's departure, they say they do not have it, and all the proof that I sent it to them is on my side, no letters of receipt or proof that they did keep it. So now I'm one less painting (that had quite a bit of meaning to me.) I just want this to serve as a warning to get proof from those that keep your art. Not just a letter, but an inventoried list of art, along with prices and a signature and date of receipt, or an emailed list, asking for a response as receipt. It may just insure you from a lost painting....Just sayin.
Thanks

(This is from Kerian Massey at www.keriansart.com )


Where is your artwork? 

Many working artists have art in a variety of galleries, even coffee shops, hair salons, restaurants, and other businesses.  If you are like me, you may things in a variety of the places above.  While that is a good thing, you need to keep track of your work.  Start out by making a list of work, and where it is.  While this sounds elementary-- you would be surprised how many people just keep a total in their head.  I have been guilty of this as well.  I know where my work is, but the more places it spreads out, the harder it is to keep tabs on.  Next make sure that when you send work to places that you have a contract that is signed that states the pieces the gallery or shop will have.  Having a contract is the best way to protect yourself and your inventory.

Has this happened to you?  How do you keep a track of your artwork?

Sonia


Some Input
 
David Leonard February 8 at 2:35pm
 
I just print an inventory list of all my canvases I own. listing the title, size, date, & retail price leaving a blank line to the right of this info. Then in pencil I write in it's current location. I deal with 6 galleries and i find this is a simple way of keeping track. It's also important when you first start to deal with a new gallery to know and be clear about who is responsible for the cost of return shipping. Best, David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...