Monday, June 28, 2010

Artist Interview: David Lawrence


What is your name: David Lawrence

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I went the formal education route but my talent was all natural,my teachers let me do what I wanted,they felt there was nothing they could teach me.

What is the style of your pieces: I do it all,when I have a show it's kinda like 5 or 6 different artist,but it's just me,doing what I do best.I love abstracts & doing portraits


What is the medium in which you work: I use all mediums,It's fun & I never get bored,if I get tired of drawing in pastels I simply switch to acrylic,pencil or even watercolor,I don't like to feel I am limited to any medium or subject matter either.

What started you on your path as an artist:I come from a large family of talented people,I am the youngest of 8.My sisters would let me draw & paint with them.At an early age I was also taught to do bead work,make jewelry & sculpt,I am American Indian so I also learned about my culture.


What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: I would have to say friends,I have a group of artist friends,we get together & draw,paint,talk & just create,we share ideas & thoughts,I have made some really wonderful friends through my art.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:It's really hard to pick just one,they are all very important to me,as an artist music is very important to me,I listen to it while I create,mostly soundtrack or music scores from movies but every once in a while you will catch me listening to everything from Manson to the Pet Shop Boys.


Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: Yes, they are usually laid back,I may show 10 to 12 pieces in a show,most people think they are all done by different artist but then they read the info & discover that I am all over the chart with my work,I believe in giving back so I also do a lot of charity work by donating my art to help raise money for a cause.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I just throw on an old t-shirt & shorts,sometimes the mood strikes & I start creating in whatever I am wearing,I've ruined a lot of nice clothes,I seem to always be wearing something with paint on it.LOL


What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?Getting into a gallery or having a reasonably priced place to show,people want a lot of money up front,sadly this keeps a lot of artist from being seen,I am no stranger to rejection,but I turn that energy into a positive thing & create wonderful works of art.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Ham & cheese with smashed BBQ chips on it & It's gotta have Miracle Whip or I don't touch it.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: Lots of things have changed,for the most part I am creating more work than ever,hanging out with other artist will do that to you,it inspires you,it makes you want to create more & more.I hang out with my best friend Brad Demeurisse who is an amazing artist,we are always trying to take art to the next level.Something I believe every artist should do.


Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: I worship Andy Warhol,I don't paint like him or do the things he did,I just think he was an amazing person & artist.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Probably one of the self portraits of Van Gogh,it contained such beautiful colors & brush strokes,you can feel the pain & suffering mixed with the love of creating,I shed a tear as I stood in front of it


Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: Our pets are not allowed to watch me work,they are to critical of my work........


Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: My new show just started at "The Firehouse Gallery" in Fort Worth,TX.I am honored to be showing with my best friend Brad & another close friend Denise Cooper,the show runs until July 24th with an artist reception on July 10th


http://community.ovationtv.com/okindian1965
okindian65@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...