Sunday, June 20, 2010

Artist Interview: Joshua Lynn


What is your name: Joshua Lynn

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: Self taught in the areas of woodcarving, and woodburning. Trade school diploma in Furniture/ Cabinet making.

What is the style of your pieces:Functional, I like my work to serve some use in addition to being pleasing to the eye.

What is the medium in which you work: My medium is primarly wood and wood composites (such as plywood).

What started you on your path as an artist: I started woodcarving several years ago, I used it as a way to keep my hands busy after work. I took on woodcarving due to the skill level needed to achive good results, I can spend the rest of my life carving and never truly master every aspect of it.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: The most important thing is acutually a someone, my partner and I got started over our art work and enjoy doing pieces together when we can.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Paintings, I love how some can paint and be so acurate with strokes of a brush.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I'm just doing my first shows one is online and the other is at a local gallery next week (I'll be there with other artist). I am looking forward to them though!

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: My clothing is usually very loose and comfortable, it's rare that I wear shoes of any variation while creating. Usually either old jeans or shorts and a T-shirt or tank top.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? The most frusterating part for me has to the dead time between contracts when I'm not making much of any money, it is also however the time I do kinda enjoy because I can take some scrap and go nuts with it.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Most any that's piled high with meat and very little of any thing else, has to be on wheat bread though!

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: This year has changed my work. Before now I've spent a lot of time chasing smaller contracts that are fairly simple, in the last week one of my pieces was accepted into an online gallery. The rules stated in the submission that the piece has to be "Gallery Quality", since then my work is changing going more artistic and getting more complicated with my pieces.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Chris Pye woodcarver

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Has to be the architectural woodcarvings inside the Catheridal, in the Catheridal Square in Christchurch New Zealand.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have two JackRussel mix's, they enjoy laying around my work area and some times pulling scrap out of the bin and chewing on it.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: "Old School" at the F6 gallery in Arlington Tx, show is from 7-10pm on June 26th, 2010 (I'll be there with other local artist).

www.joshualynn.webs.com

mrgearheadnz@hotmail.com


If you would like to be featured email sivy221@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...