Friday, June 25, 2010

Artist Interview: Michael Flynn

 
What is your name : Michael Flynn

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist : I studied art and design at the School of Visual Arts in NYC (86), but most of my talent is natural.

What is the style of your pieces: I like to combine graffiti with cartoony images.

What is the medium inwhich you work: I prefer india ink,markers, pastels, and tempra paints.

What started you on your  path to becoming an artist: It was my first art class in kindergarten. I just loved the process of creating. My imagination was also inspired by the Saturday morning cartoons from 65-71.

What is the most importent things art has brought to your life: Having artistic talent gives me a sense of purpose. There's so much I want to express,but mostly the joy it brings to others.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:I've always loved POP art,especially the images advertisers use.

Do you have art showings,and if so what are they typically like: Last year I had a showing of fifty of my cartoons in Baltimore which was quite successful. Just recently I was part of a group show in New York, and sold a piece.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: SHORTS!

What is the most frustrating part of being an artist: Many would agree it's the monetary value we must place on our work. Too many people have this notion that art should be free or very cheap.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Hands down it's the TORTA!

Has this year brought any changes to your work,and if so what are they: I was doing cartoons up until last year when I moved back to NY. Within a few months I began doing this freestyle,graffiti images. It has to be the result of the energy level I feel and the bombardment of advertising images you can't escape.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: I really like Ben Foster (from Australia). He uses alot of familiar advertising images that convey very strong statements.

What is the most moving piece of artwork you have seen in person: It would have to be Warhols electric chair..It's a powerful image.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: There is a dachsund named Glory,and a Yorkie named Molly...I get alot of licks.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I'm planning to show on the streets of NY at various locations,but I'm always looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...