Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Artist Interview: Samuel Molina



What is your name: 
 Samuel Molina
 
Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: 

  Both. Previously I attended art school for graphic design which did help me further develop professionally as an artist. Before art school I was involved in the local street art scene. 

What is the style of your pieces:

   My works have a chemistry of modern abstract with the vibe of street art. 
 
What is the medium in which you work: 

  Mixed aerosals, acrylics and oil paints on canvas. 

What started you on your path as an artist: 

  I started painting graffiti designs on sweaters in high school. Not long after I started making income off something that I enjoyed doing. That was a motivation to push myself further.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: 

 Confidence expressing my ideas through a medium where creative communication happens and no words are spoken. With my art I was able to find a missing part of me. 

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: 

 I love music. I couldn't paint in tranquility without it. 

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: 

  I have participated in a few shows in the past all have been Hip-hop related. Some including breakdancers and performing Dj's which integrate naturally with the urban style of art. 
 
Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: 

   Well I've never worn a dress and heels to paint in but I am sure that would be an experience. 
  
What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?

 Feeling discouraged when I invest time and passion into projects for clients that don't hold up their end of the deal. It hurts getting pumped on new projects that fall through the cracks. 

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: 

Philly cheese steak. 
 
Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: 

This year I have become more serious about my career choice as an artist. I started my own company Grime Lab.   I have a family now and they drive me to succeed. Failure is not an option. 
 
Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: 

  Odeith. When I first saw his pieces I was blown away by his illusions. 
 
What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:

  I have seen so many awesome works internationally I couldn't pick just one.  When I see a gigantic piece that probably took years if not decades to complete those are the most moving. As an artist I respect fellow artists who push the limits. 

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: 

  I have parakeets that talk while I paint. They enjoy having a conversation piece to chatter over some seeds. 
 
Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: 

   Yes, I will be opening up the new year at Cafe Izmir. Reception date will be Thursday, January 6th. I invite everyone to stop by and check out my new works on display. 
 


                  
grimelab@live.com                      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...