Sunday, June 13, 2010

Artist Interview: Aimee Cozza


What is your name:
Aimee Cozza.

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:
Mostly self-taught, however I do currently attend the New Hampshire Institute of Art for a bachelor's degree in illustration. I'm in my junior year currently.

What is the style of your pieces:
Mainly a narrative illustration process. Mostly comic book or graphic novel, you could say.

What is the medium in which you work:
I use every medium I can get. I mainly either work in pen and ink or digital, or a mixture of the both. So I guess you could say I'm a very mixed-media person.

What started you on your path as an artist:
My family has always been very art and music oriented, so it's kind of a given for me to grow into art.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:
The ability to not only create, but to create something that can further create more. For example, every piece has an emotional response for me, then when someone else sees it, it creates an emotional response in that person. On top of that, it's a brilliant social device.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:
Super-realism. I wish I could have the patience to do something like that.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
Of course! I try to keep them as open and laid back as I can… Usually I like to show at a club or coffee house. Sometimes galleries can be just way too stuffy.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:
Nah, just any I'm wearing.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
Competition. It's both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, you are always constantly pushing yourself to work better because there will always be someone out there better than you, and on the other hand, it's difficult to get someone to look at your artwork or appreciate your artwork or spend money on your artwork as opposed to someone else's. I suppose it's all in how you take it… That kind of thing just pushes me to try harder.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:
Prosciutto and mozzarella cheese.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
Yes. I'm teaching myself a lot about light versus dark, cool versus warm. It's something you can never know too much about.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:
I can't trim it down to one person… Tim Bradstreet, Adi Granov is a big one, Greg Capullo, Chet Zar is also a big one, Cam de Leon, Angel Medina, Adam Hubert, Alex Grey… There's tons more.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
Any of Alex Grey's works. The magnificent colors and the size of the works are just mind-blowing. The details are phenomenal.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:
Three fish, two snails, two frogs, and a dog. They could care less… All they want to know is when I'm going to feed them.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
Sure. I'd love to share information about the Eagle Eye Panel Project. The aim of this project is for individual artists to create 4'x4' panels, painted on either side, that rotate from one location to another on a monthly basis. Both sides will be shown off and the panels will all stay within Manchester/Hooksett for two years.

This project spreads awareness about the Eagle Eye project in Manchester, NH. The Eagle Eye project aims to get children off the street from vandalizing and creating illegal graffiti to giving them a means to project their artistic skills. Eagle Eye has given many students a chance to graffiti in deemed areas, creating murals and other artistic renditions within full legality, thereby reducing vandalism and educating students on art for the common good.

For any more information and examples of some of the art, you can visit Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...