Monday, June 14, 2010

Artist Interview: Alice Arisu


What is your name: Alice Arisu

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I'm graduating in Cultural Heritage Preservation and attended a photography course, but never studied in an Art School.

What is the style of your pieces: It's pretty heterogeneous, but I can surely say I prefer b/w or sephia over colors, and each of my works brings somehow a feeling of nostalgia.

What is the medium in which you work: Photography, digital collages, collages (and video, just one for now!)

What started you on your path as an artist: The need to "shout something loud" and canalize my thoughts and views about female uneasiness and malaise (with regard to their bodies) in a form that would be easily understandable but strong and penetrating at the same time.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: The power to say something beyond what words could. As dancer Isadora Duncan said, "If I could say it, I wouldn't have to dance it". This is how it works for me.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Dada and surrealism; and all conceptual contemporary art. (Also, I must admit I have an addiction to any work of art including sentences, words or even just letters and numbers.)

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: Sure I do, they're all pretty different, it depends on the place and theme.

When exhibiting alone, I care of the setting a lot, I love to create a certain atmosphere, lights and such.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Not really, I don't mind dirtying at all, I guess even the most wonderful dress can be washed if stained!

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Absolutely unjustified fees. I work for an art gallery as an assistant, and this is something everyone should know: no one should ever ask you to pay to exhibit your work, neither should you agree and pay thinking "this is the only opportunity I'll have". No way. I exhibited more than 30 times in just 4 years and I never paid a single buck. Artists should keep in mind this also is double-sided: while submitting a CV, should a gallerist see paid exhibitions in it, he just won't think you're worth it, cause "s/he had to pay to exhibit". Got the point?

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: cold sliced turkey or chicken, cheese, tomatoes, tuna/cocktail sauce. Or just a plain hot dog with cheese.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I guess (or at least hope) I finally found the right equilibrium between photography and collage in my last series ("Sin Cara Project")

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: should I choose one above all, Barbara Kruger. (Next would surely be Jenny Holzer)


What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
L'empire des lumières by Renè Magritte

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: The only lovely pet around my home is my soulmate, who happens to be my main appreciator!

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I'll be showing as an invited artist at ArTcevia International Art Festival in Arcevia (Italy) in a 4-solo-show with Valentina Crasto, Michela Baldi and Francesca Tilio from July 17,

www.alicearisu.com

info@alicearisu.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...