Monday, June 7, 2010

Artist Interview Michael Ward

"Used Cars". Acrylic on canvas, 24" x 36". Abandoned car lot in Long Beach, CA.

What is your name: Michael Ward

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: Self taught

What is the style of your pieces: Photorealism

What is the medium in which you work: AcrylicWhat started you on your path as an artist: A desire to document certain images I've encountered in my ramblings through life.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Art has taught me to see the world in greater depth.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I had a solo show in 2008 at the LA Art Association, which was a typical gallery event--high heels, black dresses, fedoras, bad white wine and cosmopolitans. No sales from that one, though I did get into a gallery on the basis of that show. I had another show in 2009 at the Orange County Airport. That one was satisfying in a different way, as it presented my work to a wider variety of people.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Nope, to my wife's dismay. To quote the artist Jeff Horn, I have two kinds of shirts: those with paint on them and those that are going to have paint on them.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Getting people to see and appreciate my work, especially in the so-called "fine art" world.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: The grilled cheese sandwich at Bechelli's Coffee Shop on Chesnut St. in San Francisco.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I've been working on a series of small house paintings, which will one day become a show. I am slowly realizing what their significance is as images, to me and to the world.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Alive: Richard Estes. Dead: Vermeer.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Girl with a Pearl Earring by Vemeer.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have two cats. They like to pee on canvases left on the floor.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Orange County Fair, July-August, 2010.Web address

www.tmichaelward.comemail
michael@tmichaelward.com

If you are an artist and would like to be featured email sivy221@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...