Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Artist Interview: Kurtz


What is your name: Kurtz

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I attempted to go to Southern Methodist University for a degree in art, but was kicked out 2 months later because my professor was a closed-minded idiot. Since I did not paint in any style he was familiar with, he was hostile to my creativity and did everything in his power to keep me out. I consequently devoted myself to following only one teacher. Nature.


What is the style of your pieces: Bold nudity and alchemical unity. Modern art has lost its ability to capture the sensual without being vulgar, the spiritual without the trappings of religion.


What is the medium in which you work:I once worked in oils and canvas, but recently acquired an antique human skeleton. I tried to combine the bones with the canvas and it failed. So I made an 8 foot sculpture of a complete skeleton on the backdrop of Russian-icon inspired coffin, covered in flowers and peacock feathers. I used the rest of the bones to make instruments for my band FRAUSUN.


What started you on your path as an artist: As a child, I would spend my days in my parent's library reading any book that drew my eye. I read about the Impressionists and decided years later to be an artist. It planted the seed.


What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Keeping me calm during the difficulties of life.


What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Graffiti art. I love it with a passion. Did some tagging years ago and started building these Mondrian inspired murals with Basquiat-type sayings inside of them. Very satisfying, but I prefer the quiet intimacy of a canvas to a concrete wall.


Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: The last art show I had was called the "Anna Nicole Anti-POP Art Show." It happened just after her death. I created 30 POP art prints (a style I hate) and brought them to the show. Before the event, I had numerous threats to my life and protesters at the venue. They felt I was attacking a gay icon, which was not the case at all. I am a major supporter of the GLBT community. I did it as a public curse against her because I did not want her to be the next Marilyn Monroe.


Anything that wasn't sold, was destroyed by the participants. I sold a few, but eventually, I called on visitors to grab the art and begin to rip it apart...which they did, rather violently. It turned into a chaotic experience, with the venue loosing one of their largest corporate sponsors. That was three years ago and up until the past week, I have been blackballed in the art world.


Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I always paint naked without heat or AC. I want to feel the true elements while I work and don't require comforts.


What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Trying to get through to the general public what you are expressing. Most people are drooling idiots who have no concept of anything in this world other than what is on TV.


Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
One year ago this month, I was happily married in a new house with my band recording their album. Lies I had been told for a year and a half came out and both the marriage, my best friendship and my band fell apart. I became suicidal and bought a mask and cloak to take my life in. I eventually got through my pain for various reasons and broke the mask, painted it and started a new music project that combines art and sound into a creation called FRAUSUN. I've since fallen in love with the most beautiful woman I have ever met, am doing gigs all over the Southwest, and recently composed an opera in German in honor my Slave/Lover called, The Dawn.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Gauguin. I saw the Impressionist room at the Boston Museum of Art and it left me speechless.


What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: "Where do we come from, what are we, where are we going" by Gauguin in Boston. Knowing he created it with the plans of taking his life after, adds a particular degree of pregnancy to the colors.


Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have a snake called Little Stars and a German Shepherd named Adolf. My snake has no opinion of my work, but my German Shepherd gets scared when I show him what I've created.


Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I'll be a the Wit Gallery on Exposition Drive in Dallas, in early June 2010 for a new series called "Fallen Muse 1-8." It's inspired by my last muse and her inability to remain faithful.


www.facebook.com/frausun

thunderinyourveins@yahoo.com


If you are an artist or gallery and would like to do an interview email sivy221@aol.com

Kurtz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...