Sunday, May 23, 2010

Artist Interview: Raul Barquet


What is your name: My name is Raul Barquet, but everyone calls me Rez.

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I guess you would say I am a self taught artist, I have taken art in highschool, and some classes at a local arts group however I go to school for marketing not art.

My pieces have a style all of their own. It is constantly growing and changing however it is usually very urban in nature.

What is the medium in which you work: Primarily I work in acrlics and spray paint.

What started you on your path as an artist: I always enjoyed creating, it starteout as me drawing all day everyday when I was a little kid.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: The most important thing art has brought to my life would have to be direction. It helps me set goals and gives me something to aspire to. Without art to drive me I don't know what I would be doing right now.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I actaully really like wood block printing, I think the results are great and I respect the difficulty of the process.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I usually exhibit in group shows in bars and resturants in the 5 boroughs. Lately I have been getting into live painting at similar venues.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I work in any of my clothes really, I think your clothes gain character as they get paint on them.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Deadlines are incredibly frusterating, I have a problem with authority, so I hate others putting deadlines on my art.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: I am quite partial to meatball parm on a hero. Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: This year has given me a ton of confidence in my work, hopefully it will be what I need to take my art to the next level.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: It's really hard to pin it down to just one artist, I would probably have to say Joshua Petker though....I should have said me. (From Semone) Love him too

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Any video installations usually move, so I would have to go with that. Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have two cats, Xena and Belial...they cannot appreciate art as we do because they are feline in nature.

Do you have any upcoming exhibits you would like to share with us: 06.05.2010 - "Back To Basics: Urban Art & Fashion Show" - Kingdom Bar, Lounge & Boutique - Brooklyn, NY
06.06.2010 - "44rd Annual S.S.A.G. Fence Show" - Conference House - Staten Island, NY

Also in July I will be having my first ever Solo Show, however I have not chosen an opening date. If you are interested you can check back to the website often or become a fan on facebook.

http://www.raulbarquet.com/
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Raul-Rez-Barquet/121228241236847?ref=ts
raul.barquet@areeasyclothing.com


If you are an artist and would like to be interviewd email sivy221@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...