Thursday, May 13, 2010

Artist Interview: Mike Salcido

What is your name: Mike Salcido


Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:
I am a self taught artist. To further my skills I’ve completed my Associate of Fine Arts degree and working towards a BFA.

What is the style of your pieces:
I don’t have a set “style” per se. The majority of my work is abstract. I’m interested in color and texture and bringing a feeling of a 3D element to my work. I also do photography. As I continue to evolve and grow as an artist, my “style” will also evolve and grow with me.

What is the medium in which you work: For the most part I work with Mixed Media. I incorporate different types of paint, as well as sand, paper, and plastic.

What started you on your path as an artist:
I collect art and in 2003, I decided I wanted to do a painting because I was inspired by my collection of artwork. The first piece I completed was a small piece; it was a 12” x 16”. The title of it is “Alive”, aptly named because when I completed the painting that is exactly how I felt – Alive.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:
Art is life to me, I cannot live without it. The act of creating gives me a sense of calmness and clarity that I usually do not have in this hectic world.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:
I’m really drawn to music and performers who create a theatrical show rather than a concert. To get on stage and sing is one thing but to have a full blown “show” that takes the viewer on a journey is something that not many musicians are able to do.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
I have had several showings in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I’ve participated in group shows at Rising Gallery and Kettle Art Gallery. I have yet to have a one man show, however I’m currently working on a body of work and my goal is to have a show by late fall or early winter.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:
I have a pair of old jeans with paint all over them and several T-shirts; however there are times when I get home from a long day at the office and I will go into my studio and just start painting wearing whatever it is that I wore to the office.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? I would have to say the most frustrating part is the stress I go through when I’m in a show. Prior to a shows opening, I get sick to my stomach to the point where I literally have cramps. Once the show starts I’m completely fine.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:
The Great American Hero Turkey and Provolone on French bread with all the fixins.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
This year has brought some very exciting changes to my work. I have started incorporating plastic into my work and have been able to manipulate the plastic that it gives the painting a sculptural feel. I’ve also started using spray paint in my work and really enjoy the effects it gives the paintings.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Can I have more than one? Dead I would have to say Picasso, Pollock and Warhol. Alive – I love and collect the work of French Canadian Artist Dominic Besner. He is an architect turned artist and his work is amazing. I also admire Dallas Artists Jay D. Miller and Mark Whitmarsh.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Wow, this is a difficult one. If I had to select only one, I would have to say it was “The Mask” by Frida Kahlo.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: Yes, I have 3 dogs. They love it, when I’m in the studio at least one of them is in there with me. After painting I usually find little paint paw prints throughout the house.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
I just participated in a group showing at Upstairs@Pearl. I’m working on a body of work and once that is complete I hope to have an exhibition. I’ll keep you posted.


http://mikesalcido.com/
Phone: 972-965-1906
Email: mike@ms-creations.biz




If you are an artist or gallery and would like to promote and event or do an interview email sivy221@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...