Friday, May 28, 2010

Artist Interview: Marcelo Angel Goycoechea


What is your name: Marcelo Angel Goycoechea

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I am largely a self taught artist/cartoonist. My formal art education came in the late years in High School where during the weekends I attended an intensive college portfolio prep (SATURDAY OUTREACH PROGRAM) course at the famous Cooper Union in New York. There I first learn to draw nudes from life, execute observation drawing of still life's and maintaining a sketch book.

What is the style of your pieces:
I would called it Toon Surrealism and in some piece that would contain adult themes, Toon Erotica- which has an American/European appearance since the cartoons I paint are non-anime or Asian influence.

What is the medium in which you work:
My medium of choice will have to be watercolor however, I don't limit myself into settling with one medium. There is a demand for diversity in a portfolio and although I stay with the same cartooning subjects I have made tons of examples of them in: soft graphite's ( 6B or Ebony), Pen and Ink, colored ink, colored pencil, watercolor pencils, acrylics, pastels, charcoals, conte crayons and markers.

What started you on your path as an artist:
At the age of 15- started of as wanting to be an architect
after originally being inspired by American architect Frank LLoyd Wright. But by 18,I shifted into fine arts and commercial design after largely being exposed and impacted through my first attendance at a senior college art exhibition at Pratt Institute.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:
That there is place where I contain my random insanity hidden in black portfolio while looking like a normal individual on the outside and that no one gets hurt.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:
Cubism which my art teacher was really good at and made me appreciate the style. Another style that I favorably impressed is Western Art. Walter Ufer is a prime example of this genre for his mix of realistic and impressionism elements. I would highly recommend this artist to anyone who is interested in studying this field.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
I only had ONE showing in my adult life at a neighborhood bar only 5 people and a DJ showed up to my opening.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:
No I don't. I tend to keep my artistic appearance under my sleeves.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
The process of creating- I've always said, to make beautiful works of art one has to go through the ugly part.it becomes a struggle in trying to flesh out a piece that you can see in your mind but that the eyes falls short in interpreting it. It's also frustrating that it's not what you know but who you know- so be it that you paint like a Velazques or a Raphael, the dude with his self portrait made out of doggie poop on a platter will win a gallery show or that strange girl that saves all of her bleeding tampons to make some crappy abstract sculpture will win headlines across this screwed up piece of spinning rock I call "EARFH" because they know the "who" and I DON"T. But who am I to say what is right and wrong in ART- the fact is, there isn't any which opens to an endless debate which that alone is....frustrating.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:
Pastrami on Rye with Mustard

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
No changes it's pretty much the same.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:
Alive: Peter Max. Dead: Salvador Dali

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: I have yet to see a piece that would move me...if there is one painting that I can have a chance to see it in person that would have an impact on me would have to be "Christ of St.John of The Cross" by Salvador Dali.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:
I have no animals to evaluate my work at this moment.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
Love, if I did have an upcoming show- I would be dead. (Semone) You will have more and you will be alive.


Marcelo Angel Goycoechea
Dablkportfolio@aol.com


If you are an artist and would like to be featured email sivy221@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...