Thursday, May 13, 2010

Artist Interview: Sonia Semone

What is your name: Sonia Semone

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: Bachelor of Fine Arts and Master of Arts

What is the style of your pieces: Nonrepresentational motivated by a play of color
What is the medium in which you work: Acrylic, Acrylic, Acrylic-- oh and did I mention Acrylic

What started you on your path as an artist: Being deranged, an appetite for punishment, wanderlust and a penchant for day dreaming
What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Contentment

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I would have to say impressionism. The brushstrokes and colors that creep into abstraction.
Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: They are always a lot of fun-- just ask my friends ;) We have the art, of course, food and beverages, sometimes live music.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Oh Yes I do! I have paint shirts and sweats -- my most favorite things to wear when I am painting -- they are splattered all over.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist: Galleries that don't know a thing about art run by people that don't paint. No advocacy for artists-- hey artists, I think we should unionize. Oh and my most favorite thing that I love to hate -- copycat unoriginal fake artists!

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: I have too many to name, but any melt with cheese is a friend of mine- add pesto and we are best buds. I could go for a turkey Ruben right about now.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I have been doing some new texture work with a little less color. It is a totally different feel for me.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: I don't really have a favorite, I love so many. I saw an Adolph Gottlieb in person at a modern museum and If I had all the money I needed I would have bought it. I am also a big fan of Audry Kawasaki.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Oh-- I just said that huh. Well, darn. I was in awe of a Pollock I saw, not necessarily the composition but the layers upon layers of paint, and the shear size of the canvas. HUGE!

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have a doggy and she loves to run over my work and get paint on the carpet. That has happened a few times.

Do you have any up coming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Incongruence, May 8th, Fort Worth Community Art Center, Gallery 3, 6-9pm Opening
Art Show Cafe Izmir, June 3rd 7:00 - 9:00.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...