Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Artist Interview: Alphonse Lane


What is your name: Alphonse Lane

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:

Both, Formal CFA and MFA from the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, BFA from the University of Pennsylvania / however self taught in Sculpture.

What is the style of your pieces:
Self created images of Flowers, they do not exist as a species. "Surreal Flowers" and other creations.

What is the medium in which you work:

I work in Oil on Birch Panel with a hand made Gesso base.


What started you on your path as an artist:

A desire to be free and discover my inner Identity through self expression. Time has taught me / my inner self is so valuable to others that I appreciate life more now, I have found a person hidden deeply beneath all life's dust and time

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:

The knowledge that true wealth is not something found in ones wallet. Yet something that is identified within ones vision and within ones own heart.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:
I immensely enjoy the figure and rarely work within the constraints of its difficulties.


Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:

Yes, I do exhibit, and rarely attend, for me / The only people I wish to honor with my presents are those who are smart enough to purchase my works, And if they "really" want to meet me / they will find a way.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:
Cloths / I will paint in MY SUNDAY BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as I am very clean when I paint and rarely get paint slopped on me / however I do have cloths that I use when I know it is going to get messy.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
Frustration, it's hard to admit / yet / as an artist / presenting yourself to the world and feeling within oneself that the world never even blinked is a difficult pill to swallow.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:
That is an Easy one, Tuna Fish with Miracle Whip and Ice Berg Lettuce on either Prepridge Farm bread or Arnold bread (sandwich bread) toasted, and if you want to take it a step further, Cut them into TEA Sandwiches and sit and EAT.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
I am slowly moving to Sculpture and the problems that exist there as Painting has become less troublesome and a breeze.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:
Even though there are many I admire deeply. I guess Rembrandt holds the all time hit parade.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
I have not had the chance to view many of the Great works of the World.............The one that shook me the most was "Stary Stary Night / by Van Gogh / I came around a corner in the MOMA and all the sudden ------ There It WAS...............I still remember the day, and I was in my 20's and now in my Forties.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:
I have a Bruder Dog............he was a LAB / black / and my best friend in life. Although he has died and has been cremated we will be together in the end when I am cremated and our ashes mixed together and cast into the ocean / where he loved to play and I still do. My only regret is / I did not treat him as well as I could have. I needed to grow up a bit.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
While I am in an Exhibition now,,, it may be my last for a bit, Other avenues of life have become difficult and need attending, For some reason God has made art a more difficult venue. I also know that within the Exhibition no one has lifted a hand to get hold of one. So really / what is the difference any longer. I will always continue to work / yet my purpose with in this lifetime is on the wain. However ? !

Alphonselane.net

Alphonselane@yahoo.com

If you are an artist and would like to be featured email sivy221@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...