Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Artist Interview: Rob Servo


What is your name: Rob Servo

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I have an undergraduate degree in Art Education from Nazareth College, and a MFA from the University at Albany.

What is the style of your pieces: I create narrative paintings on asymmetrical panels. The imagery tends to have an illustrative or graffiti feel to it.

What is the medium in which you work: I am a mixed media painter. An average piece of mine usually includes a combination of oil and acrylic paint, cut paper, colored pencil,
LEDs, glass and foam.

What started you on your path as an artist:I grew up around art. My father’s parents were both painters and Pratt graduates from Brooklyn. I knew for sure after undergrad that I wanted to seriously pursue painting. After a short stint of teaching I realized I felt unfulfilled when I was not making work.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Friends, confidence and experiences that push me to keep making work.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Magic realist painters and cinema.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I usually am in one or two shows a month. It has been all over the place lately from art fairs and galleries, to one night shows at bars and clubs.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Not really I am a fairly neat painter. I don’t paint in a suit.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Trying to live up to the expectations I set up for myself, and dealing with where I fall short.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Parmesan, onion, avocado, pesto, and tomato on a toasted bagel.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
I have started installing some of my grandfather’s old tools and new types of plastics into my panels to add depth, as well as different textures and colors.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: I would say Francis Bacon or Donald Roller Wilson.


What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: No animals right now. I grew up around cats, but they were more interested in my guitar playing than my paintings.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Bushwick Open studios at Brooklyn Fire proof June 4-6. Convergence art fair NYC, at 68th Lexington Ave. Armory in August. Fountain Art Fair in Miami in December.


www.robservo.com
servo787@gmail.com


If you are an artist and would like to be featured email sivy221@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...